Friday, June 23, 2006

and they're off....

Well the 2006 FXCC DR team is in Puerta Plata as I type! They left Dulles at 6 this morning...yes if you do the math, that means we had to be there at 4, which means we had to leave our house at 3:30, which means that we woke up at 2:30!!!!

Our teen mission team left to go and be God's hands and feet in the DR (dominican republic) for one week! Let me bring you up to speed on the happenings of the week that will end with Chelsea leaving for the DR.

Monday--
Alex "graduates" from 6th grade at a ceremony at school. The fact that he is now in 7th grade hits me at the end of the ceremony and I am a blubbering mess! We go out to eat with his best friend for lunch and then my mother-in-law takes Alex on a whirlwind trip of the east coast for 10 days. Their ports of call are : south carolina, florida, georgia, and alabama. I go to Walmart to buy supplies for the DR.

Chelsea wakes up on Monday with a horrible sore throat and feeling very "yucky", but soldiers on to school to take her final 2 exams for the year! She comes home and sleeps for 3 hours, all the while feeling "yucky". I take her to the dr. for a strep test. 2 tests=negative. 95% chance of no strep. Dr. says it is virus and to basically "deal" with it BUT if by Wed. she is not better then bring her back in since she is going to a 3rd world country on friday.

Tuesday--
Chelsea still feeling yuck-o, goes to church to work on her skits and props for the DR with her team. by the time we get home she is achy and feeling just rotten. She starts to pack her suitcase anyway. 10:30 p.m.--enters chelsea crying --saying that her eye hurts....yep...gooey stuff coming out--we got the pink eye! I go to walmart to buy DR supplies, again.

Wednesday--
We go to the drs. and get drops of the viral pink eye she has. her throat still hurts so we are adivsed to give her aleve! our dr. is soooo great! She gives us 2 bottles of eye drops! "Just in case" other children come down with the HIGHLY contagious pink eye! We head to Wal-mart and buy out the store in cold meds, pain relief, and you name it we bought it medical supplies!
Chelsea just sat in the drs. office with tears streaming down her face, thinking that the dr. would tell her she couldn't leave the country! I of course sat next to her and cried with her because this trip has been her dream since she was 11. From the moment she understood what happened on this trip, she wnated to be there and helping out! The dr. tells her to go and that she will be fine! WHEW!
She comes home and finishes packing but has to stay away from the meeting that night due to the fact that she needs to be on the drops for 24 hours before going out into public. Her throat? still hurting.....I go to Walmart to buy, yet even more supplies!

Thursday--
I make my final trip to Wal-mart--or so I was foolish enough to think....to buy more DR supplies. Chelsea cleans her room and is 100% ready for the trip! I drop her off for her final team meeting. She is wearing sunglasses to hide her "el diablo" eyes from the others.
I pick up Chelsea from her final team meeting and she is wearing a different set of sunglasses. Oh, yeah, that's right...her sunglasses broke....my eyes fill with tears...i have to make ONE MORE TRIP TO WALMART!!!!!! Can I just tell you....the thought of Walmart is like the thought of eating at McDonald's....it turns my stomach!
We go to walmart, we pick out sunglasses and oh yea, we need anti-freeze--why? My van overheats and the a/c stops working!!! On THE hottest day of the year. It was 8 p.m. and it was 101 degrees with 85% humidity!!!!
We go home and we crash but not for long because the mother of all storms lets loose on the NOVA area at midnight and lasts until 2 a.m.
Needless to say, we did not sleep at all!

Friday (today)
The teens leave and everyone is happy and doing great! I didn't even cry saying good bye to Chelsea. I am so happy for her an the other 16 teens and 5 adults! I do miss her though! Jay and I have NEVER been without both our kids in the whole 17 years we have been married!

Please keep them in your prayers! Hopefully when she gets back, we will have pictures to post!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

WOW! Sounds like a crazy busy week. I'm exhausted just reading about it - oh my! I'm glad that Chelsea is feeling better. I can't wait to hear all about her trip. How exciting!

Um, this is actually the second time that you and Jay have been without both of your children :)

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Go take a long nap and enjoy having hubby to yourself for awhile!

Malia said...

I met your small groups minister today. Neal? Was that his name? I'm terrible with remembering names! He's in N-ville at Lipscomb for Summer Celebration and we happened to be in the same class together.