Monday, May 09, 2005

Cookin it up in the kitchen

I would tell you that one of my weakest areas is cooking. I don't enjoy it. It scares me. I am not confident in this area so I am afraid to fail. In fact after I cook, I tend to feel sick to my stomach! I don't know what that is about. So I try to avoid cooking!

I have friends who are excellent cooks and no matter how much I beg or bribe (yes, I have told my friends I would pay them to cook for me!) no one has taken me up on my offer. Yes, I know it is very sad. I mean my family is suffering! All these families get to enjoy and eat delicious food! My family spins a wheel and we either eat out, or order out or you are on your own! I know, I can't believe I am admitting this. I am not going to win any Mother of the year awards!!!


So a few weeks ago, a friend gave me a 3 ring binder with dividers and page protectors with RECIPES in it!!!! I couldn't believe it! At first I was like, "oh thank you! I can't wait to try these!" --notice the tongue in cheek! I mean has she not heard me....I DON'T COOK!!!!

Well then I crunched numbers....see our family is going on a Disney Cruise next year. We have to save ALOT of money to be able to afford this. Well I can save LOTS of money if I cook! GRRR....God has a sense of humor!

So I thought and prayed about my phobia of cooking. I self analyzed and thought..."I am not going down alone! I need people to help me" God provided the atmosphere.

At a ladies bible study we got to talking about cooking and people expressed interest in a recipe exchange. Then my friend gives me an organized and very efficient way to make cooking fun and easy! I love organizational things! I love to share! So I told my little posse of wanna be chefs about the 3 ring binder and organized 12 months of recipes groupings and BAM! I have recipes to cook and save money!

So once a month, I tell my recipe gals the subject of the month and they send me their tried and true recipes and I forward them to everyone else and BAM! we have 14 new recipes to try!!!! FUN!!!!

Then, as if that wasn't enough....I found this new thing! It is called The Food network!!! Now I don't like all the shows on there..in fact, I only like one! 30 Minute Meals with Rachel Ray! My kids watch it with me and WHAM! they tell me what they like and I write down the recipes and I go get the stuff for dinner the next night! It is GREAT!

I am soooo pumped about my new found hobby. My family is eating good...everything from Beef enchiladas to shrimp scampi to kabobs to fajitas to tortellini!!!

I wonder how long this will last?

No comments: