Friday, May 11, 2007

Reoccuring thought

While our church is trying to find itself. We have had a consultant, who does this professionally for churches, come in once a month and talk to about 50 of us who make up a cross section of the church.

Every month, this thought keeps coming up. "Why did God set up the church?"

You see as a church and maybe even a society, I feel that we have lost the idea of why God originally set up the church. All I keep hearing from members is, "I want...." or "I don't like...."

When did we ever get the idea that coming to church on Sunday morning has to do with what I like or want? That is such a culture infused ideaology.

Our culture is about me. What I like. What makes me feel good. I hear people say over and over again. I want a church that meets my needs. Can I tell you how unbiblical that statement is?!!!

I am currently reading a wonderful book called "Confessions of a Pastor". I have only read 3 chapters but I LOVE IT!!!! He says everything that I am afraid to! He ahs a whole section dedicated to Christians who want to have church for themselves. Christians have fallen into the belief that it is "their" church.When in fact it is God's church.

So maybe we/I need to start praying "God help me change my attitude about your church and my role in it" When did we start thinking that church was for us? We are the church and WE are here for the world. A world that is lost.

I think that this attitudeis one of the things that angers me most about Christians.
What do you think?

4 comments:

Katherine said...

I totally agree. But, as quickly as I could say "preach it, sister", I realize that I am so often guilty of that attitude, too. It is so very hard in our consumer-driven society to not fall into that trap.

Sign2Jill said...

I find that it is getting harder to be excited about Sundays. Probably because I've learned how to make it a busy day...not a day of rest and worship. I really need to do some personal study on this as well!

I'll have to read that book you recommended. Will anyone be borrowing it when you're done?

Emily Gray said...

I say Amen sister! This needs to be said more. We are falling into a comfortable habit of meeting our own needs and forgetting who we belong to.

Jacque said...

So true, Ellyn. I really appreciate your thoughts on this because I think it's what really keeps us separate as brothers and sisters in Christ. How often do we alienate and hurt others because they have different views. And I say that, like Katherine, knowing that I have also been guilty of it. You (and Jill) might also be interested in reading Lauren Winner's "Mudhouse Sabbath." In it she talks about several Jewish practices that she believes would benefit Christians to consider - and one of them is a Sabbath. I think you would like it. See you soon... :)