Monday, July 23, 2007

Give me your best!

Ok, I have read two books this summer. I don't get time to read during the school year, so I soak it up during the summer. I started and finished book #2 today. So I need another book...preferably one I can find in the local library. So I need suggestions. I want to read something light, romantic, funny, a good mystery. Nothing sad, depressing or real life(unless it meets the qualifications of the above mentioned qualities). I am trying to escape for a while! I don't want to watch t.v. I don't want to read anything job/church related right now. I am burnt out.

So please please please give me your suggestions! I will add them to the post and hopefully others can enjoy them too! Now, I haven't read Harry Potter #5, 6 or 7 but I don't know that I really want to either....it doesn't matter, I know how each one ends anyway.

So here is my list so far--

1. "Before I wake", by Dee Henderson
2. "The fourth Traveling Pants book" by Ann Brashares

Suggestions
1. Confessions of a Shopoholic--Shayna
2. Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair--Tanya
3. "The Secret History of the Pink Carnation" and "The Masque of the Black Tulip" by Lauren Willig.--Jacque
4. "The Book of Jane" by May Vanderbilt and Anne Dayton.--jacque
5. "Legends" by Robert Littel--Mike
6. Life is So Good By Richard Glaubman,George Dawson --Dave

Some of my other favorites are Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers the story of Judah set in teh gold rush era. Also by her is the series of books about the 5 women in the lineage of Christ! LOVE them! They are quick reads! Happy reading! I am treating myself to a mani/pedi today but I am going to stop by the library first for a book!




WOW! Now I am excited to see what you all have to say!

7 comments:

Shayna Willis said...

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" and any other Shopaholic book by Sophie Kinsella. Definately light with a little humor and romance mixed in. When I need an escape, I reach for one of these. These should be in the library. Happy reading! :-)

Jacque said...

My favorite topic!

Some current favorites -
"The Secret History of the Pink Carnation" and "The Masque of the Black Tulip" by Lauren Willig. Both really cute (I'm reading the second one right now)combos of chick lit and history.

I'd also recommend "The Book of Jane" by May Vanderbilt and Anne Dayton. It's a fantastic retelling of the story of Job in a modern setting with a female heroine. The pair has also written 2 others, "Emily Ever After" (a little hokey) and "Consider Lily" (really good too). Have fun!!

Jacque

Tanya said...

How about The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I read this book last summer and loved it!! I also liked The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, too.

Anonymous said...

I just finished "Legends" by Robert Littel, it is a great spy novel (and I don't even like spy novels). It will keep you guessing until the very end. I even blogged about it (just follow my profile to find it). Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

If you want something not on your list but really a cool biography/autobiography try this:
Life is So Good
By Richard Glaubman
, George Dawson
Published 2000
Random House
Biography
/ Autobiography
260 pages
ISBN 037550396X

Ellyn said...

I can't wait to read these! Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Tanya-Chelsea has read the "the secret life of bees" and LOVED it! she said it was an excellent book!

Mike-hey! welcome to my blog! thanks for commenting...I do love a good spy novel!

Shayna--since I can be a kind of shopoholic, I am excited to read your suggestions!

Jacque--Miss Lit Professor! Of course anything you suggest is going to be good!

Carden--I think expanding my borders and venturing otu of my comfort zone would be good too!

Suzanne said...

I have the book "The Jane Austen Book Club" downstairs collecting dust :) You are welcome to read it since I know you like her stuff. It looks good. I am up to 21 books now in my entire life! I need a break from all this reading... LOL.