Friday, April 20, 2007

Reflections

Wednesday night we had a wonderful little service to help each other deal with our fears and grief. Bruce relayed the story of Jesus calming the storm in relation to where God is during a crisis.

When he started, I thought...where is he going with this? Bruce talked about how the storm was raging around them while they were in the boat. The disciples were freaking out! They went into the boat and woke him up and asked him if he cared what was happening.

Can you imagine? Asking the Lord God almighty if he cares? I thought of course he cares!--but then it hit me....not everyone thinks like me. God has made us all different and to have different questions is ok.

Then I thought about significant things that Chelsea will remember from her teenagehood....

*9/11/01
*a year later we had a sniper loose and wrecking havoc in our area.
*from that our kids now have regularly scheduled lockdowns and terrorist drills, like we used to have fire drills.
*we now have a family emergency plan...which needs to be revised now that Chelsea can drive.
*at our church we lost a vital member and close friend this past dec.
*2 dec's before that Jay's father died.

She has experienced more sorrow and heartache in her 16 years than I had. How will that change who she is?

Our family alone has had a major event happen every year since the fall of 1999. This has just been our family.

So I can see how people would think "does God care?"

What I have learned from all the above crap that has happened is....

Yes, he does care. Just like he told the disciples....he controls the wind and waves. He has promised us an amazing afterlife but we have to claim him in this life inorder to get that after life.

Many opportunities have been laid before me to profess my faith and beliefs, as a believer...i am commanded to share it. I will confess that until 2001, I didn't do it. I am trying much harder now. I have started to pray to invited God into my life in that way.

So-- yes, Virginia, there is a God and he loves you and wants a relationship with you.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I had a great conversation with a lady at a school fundraiser tonight about this -- she said she had just talked to her granddaughters about how God can use anything, ANYTHING, that Satan throws at us for good.

Your post made me think about the song "Sometimes He Calms the Storm" - it always seemed like such a cheesy song, but I LOVE that song -- and I find myself singing it so often! :) I think this is one of those times that God is calming us.

Josh Kellar said...

Your post immediately reminded me of this song by Casting Crowns. I googles a line from the song and decided to post the lyrics here.

Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now, God, You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

Chorus.