Thursday, May 04, 2006

For Papa Serg

Today would have been Jim's birthday. He was/is my father-in-law. I don't know how to say it anymore. Because on days like this it doesn't seem like he is gone. Then we get together as a family or call and we realize, that yes, he is gone. He passed away on December 31, 2004. He would have been 60 today.

I only knew him for 15 years. What I did learn about him, gave cause for me to love him. Not only did he proudly serve our country for almost 30 years in the Army, he married the woman who brought him to Christ. He raised 2 sons who are faithful to the Lord. He took care of his mother, and let me tell you that was not and is not an easy job. There are a plethora of reason as to why the previous statement is true.

Not only were Pat, Jay and Chris the loves of his life but he fully loved his grandchildren, my children. They were his pride and joy. One year, I gave him a calendar with pictures of the kids on each month with a different part of Eccel. 3 on it. He cried when he saw it. AFter he died, we were going through his stuff...he still had it.

His co-workers knew of his family and faith. He did not keep it hidden. He provided for his family both physically and spiritually. As a father he taught his sons how to be a father, a husband and a productive citizen. As a grandfather (Papa Serg) he taught the kids to enjoy life and not take yourself too seriously. Once he was frustrated at Chris and the kids were around and he knew he had to watch his language and so he called him a "donut". The kids thought this was hysterica! They knew he was trying to be a good example for them but they laugh about it anyway!

Jim watched a pair of hawks from their back window with a pair of binoculars. They left their nest about the time he was diagnosed with cancer. They returned to their nest the day he died. Pat said it was God telling her that Jim really was ok. He had returned home.

I hear the song often on the radio by the Christian Group, Mercy Me, "Homesick". This song helps me grieve the loss of Jim. (http://www.myspace.com/mercymerocks )

My life was forever touched by a man who married a woman, who had 2 sons and became a Christian. Jim no longer has to imagine heaven. He's there, waiting for us. How blessed am I to have him there along with my other loved ones who have gone before him.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Oh, Ellyn! That was a tearjerker!! Jim was truly a wonderful man. He had such a great sense of humor and he was so friendly and very enjoyable to be around. What a blessing to have known him. My heart hurts for your family...I know he was so special to all of you and that your memories with Jim will be cherished always. Please give Jay and the kids a hug from me. Love you guys!!

Malia said...

Makin' me cry!!