Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Celebration of Life

Today I had the honor to be with about 100+ people to celebrate the life of Fred Henson. He went home to be with his Lord this past Sunday after suffering for almost 2 years with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

I had the privalege to know Fred because I grew up with his boys, Mark and David. While Fred and his wife Linda had 4 children, I was closest to Mark and David. Mark and I are the same age/grade and were friends since we were 5. For those who are counting, that is almost 33 years of friendship. When we first moved to the DC area we lived literally right around the corner from the Hensons. The Hinckleys, Nighs and Hensons were fast friends and we spent many friday nights and holidays together. I don't know if Mark and David remember but we used to play Dukes of Hazzard together. I of course was Daisy Duke. I think since Mark had brown hair he was Luke Duke and David, having blonde hair was Bo Duke. We would slide over the arm of the sofa to be like we were entering the General Lee!!! Good times!!!

Today we did celebrate Fred's life and dedication to God. He was a great man who dearly loved his wife and children. He knew that we was afflicted with ALS and decided to live every moment to the fullest. He could of complained, he could of asked why but he accepted the path before him and relied on God to get him through. From the moment he was diagnosed he said that it was ok becuase he was ready to go home.

He leaves behind his wife of 39 years, Linda, Children--Mark (w/Edie), David (w/Jennifer), Heather (w/Darrin), and Chris (w/ his wife...who I am sorry to say I can't remember her name!) And 6 grandchildren with 3 on the way!

Thank you Fred for your family. Thank you for your love of God. Thank you for your life's example. It was an honor to know you.

2 comments:

Ramona said...

It was such a great service. I especially loved the singing with Max leading! My parents go way back with Fred and Linda. What a wonderful family. I have especially enjoyed Heathers friendship and our guacamole parties when we lived in the same dorm :). Like my mom said, Fred won his battle with the disease. He left such a beautiful heritage for so many.

Malia said...

Thank you for sharing this. I didn't know of his struggle with ALS and had not yet heard of his death.

We have a dear friend with ALS, he's been hanging on for almost 20 years!! It's a terrible disease.

I remember a funny caper in D.C. with Fred and Heather. We had all gone to Galludet together to see a play, and there was some kind of incident, okay maybe I don't really remember all the details (!), at a McDonalds??? I can't remember anything else!