Thursday, September 28, 2006

we live, we love, we forgive and never give up

So this has been a very interesting week...I feel like the past 5 days have been weeks worth of time.

I honestly don't remember what happened on Sunday....oh wait, it is coming back to me now. Yes, our family had a little melt down. It was a beautiful afternoon and we had all been peaceful at home. It was just about time to go to small group when--BAM!--all you know what breaks loose! It was like my 2 offsprings became demon possessed!!! Needless to say we didn't make it to small group. Instead I spent 2 hours on the phone with the nonfruit computer company because our older laptop crapped out on us. I then handed the phone over to Jay as he was speaking with the nice albeit scripted Indian (not native but other) man, because Chelsea comes screaming upstairs to tell me she has a project/paper due tomorrow and the older laptop crapped out on us and the new laptop doesn't have the printer drivers installed on it! So in world could we do that to her! The inhumanity--ya know never mind she spent 7 solid days in a 3rd world country helpign the poor and afflicted--she was now afflicted!! So I then go online wtih Dell--oops i mean nonfruit computer company--to download the printer drivers to the computer. Yes, my blog friends that took 2...count them 2 hours to get right! So in the mean time I keep reminding Alex that he has not practiced his trombone. Well of course not--he left it at school!!! Apparently it is a little hard to play a trombone with no actual trombone. So now I am mad becuase he is going to fail for the week.

But then Monday came--well let's just say God put me in my place. Monday evening, we got word that a good friend, a very Godly man all of the age of 42 with 5 children all under the age of 12 and works for a certain secret group of the government has cancer and it is pretty bad. I am in total disbelief! How could this man have cancer? How can it be so bad? I go to back to school night for Alex and Jay and I just walk around and are literally sick to our stomachs over this.

Tuesday--the news about this man seems to get worse. The doctors say that the cancer has eaten away at his hip and it may not be the only place the cancer is. I am in constant prayer allllllll day. My prayer is "God, I don't want it to be cancer BUT if it has to be then make it fixable." I pray that over and over and over. A part of me feels like this is not going to be as bad as we all first think it is but you know, you are always afraid to say it. But my gut is telling me--it is not going to be bad like the doctors think. He wants everyone to know and for everyone to pray--we spread the word....We, when I say we I mean pretty much the whole church--prays all day and a SLEW of people go to the hospital to visit and provide support and encouragement to a man who has done exactly that to soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people. I go to back to school night for Chelsea and again, it is hard to concentrate on anything because, well I am remind once again how fragile life is. How we MUST live with purpose to make our life count for God.

Wednesday--he is to have cat scans and a biopsy. My co-worker and I go to the hospital to sit with the wife to wait for the news. This man is visibly shaken to the core. We pray twice with him before he goes for the biopsy. The man who has stood in the gap for countless of people needs us to stand in the gap for him. He goes thru the biopsy and the doctor comes out to hug the wife and says yes it is cancer of the bone BUT it is VERY treatable! He can beat this!
answered prayer!
We have a prayer vigil at the beginning of church that night for he and another woman fighting cancer. Our hearts are very heavy but comforted in the fact that God has heard us. He is good!

Today--More good news--tests from overnight and today show that they are fairly certain that the cancer is only in the hip! He will ahve hip replacement surgery next week and then a round of chemo.

My prayer--"God, Satan thinks he can get to this man and his family. But he has shown you and many others that Satan will not prevail. Keep Satan away this man is ours and you know that."

It made me wonder. Like Job, did Satan ask God to test this man? This man is one of the strongest and most faithful men I know. If anything maybe he was stricken with this cancer to touch someone in the hospital. I know taht only God knows the plans He has for us but I am jsut curious. Whatever the answer--God is faithful and God is Great! This man and his family are not going to waiver. They are strong and courageous.

Between not getting a lot of sleep and being emotionally wiped out--I have stopped at McD's for a sweet tea (which by the way I LOVE!!) to help me survive on the sugar high and caffeine. I had pretty much cut out sodas but I am also living on cokes. This weekend is not going to be relaxing either....it is jammed packed....Can I get an IV of soda and sweet tea? I am going to need it!

Remember--Great is our God!

3 comments:

Sign2Jill said...

I'm shaken too. I know exactly how it feels to be that man.

Is there anything I can do? Are they ready for dinners yet?

Sam and I prayed all day, as well. Our God really is an awesome God!

Tanya said...

Thanks for all the updates. I really appreciate it! Please keep them coming. We are definitely praying!!!!

Ramona said...

Great post, Ellyn! You called me just before I was taking James up on a movie night out by myself offer. I considered not going b/c the news was so heavy for me, and James got home later than originally thought, etc. I prayed and prayed and rejoiced out loud the next day when I saw your update of answered prayer! I was so impressed with how they were handling it, especially with their letter that had this at the bottom - "Joshua 1:9 resounds in our minds: Have I not told you, be strong and courageous, do not be terrified for the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go." Let's all keep praying as they have requested - for the Lord alone to be glorified, for his body to swiftly recover from the surgery and to be responsive to the cancer treatments; for the hands of the surgeons to be guided; for peace, strength, comfort, and unshakeable faith for the family.