Thursday, August 04, 2005

Snap shots

OK so last week was our infamous VBS. We had over 500 kids come to sing and learn about God and His amazing love! Our whole church bands together to get this event pulled off! We have soooo many people give of their time so that kids can come in and learn they way they learn best. By experiencing God.

We had a room that was made into a Lion's Den, with lifesize lions and glow in the dark eyes and skulls and authentic lion roars. So authentic that when the man playing Daniel came out and told the kids he was scared and asked what he should do, a little girl screamed out "PRAY TO GOD, HE WILL SEND HIS ANGELS TO SAVE YOU!" Then he asked the kids to help him pray and there was this boy with tightly folded hands and eye shut tight, praying and shaking! Although, I do hope we don't have to be liable for any future psychology bills. There was the jail. The kids came into a hot room that was void of anything fun...fully equipped with shackles and jailers who were tough and rough. We had a firey furnance too!

A great time was had by all. Even the 4th graders who apparently had a grand time with a full-contact game involving golf clubs...not sure about that one but I heard stories.

So, I am pretty much like the walking dead the week of and the week after. But that week God granted me a sneak peak of heaven I think. One morning while all 500 kids were in the worship center singing, I was up front and I looked out onto the sea of faces of those kids, and just was in awe, marveled, and touched by the love and the joy those kids were showing. They were pumped up and singing with all their hearts to God! I just stood there and teared up. Then "Betty Boop" came up to me to tell me of a potential VBS ending problem and WHAM! I was back to a place of work again.

I still have that snapshot of the kids singing and praising. I am currently all alone at home getting ready to leave on vacation and the picture still rolls thru my mind. I am trying to decompress (not sure that is the right word) so that I can enjoy my vacation with my family.

Thank you. God for photographic memories!

No comments: