Saturday, January 14, 2006

California dreamin con't

Can I just tell you how much I love southern CA. I mean who wouldn't. I keep thinking....i could live here! But then Lisa reminded me that what I absolutely LOVE about VA is that we ahve all 4 seasons. True that! I would miss snow and a cold christmas...oh wait..i missed that this year! Some of my fondest memories are snowy christmases! Like the one where it snowed Christmas morning and my family went out to feed the troops that guard the pentagon andhave to work on Christmas day and are not with their families! See just makes you all cozy inside!

The conference was great! A high light of the conference was a group called Go Fish who sang to us! They are 3 young guys who sing acapella! They were fabulous! I just love good music! I bought their cd for my neices and nephews. One of our keynote speakers was Lisa Welchel from the Facts of Life. Ever wonder where she has been? Well she has great story! She came to know Christ by walking up the church near her because they had donuts! Her family didn't go to church and she got up on sunday mornings and went becuase they had donuts! She of course kept going because she was finding what she was missing but what got her in the door was donuts. She has 3 children and they are teenagers and she wrote a book on creative correction. I ordered th e book!

Huh? If all it takes is donuts to get the lost in the door then why are we not doing it?! I mean we don't have to compromise our beliefs and our faith. All we have to do is rethink our donuts!

This generation of kids is not donuts but more media driven. Teen "donuts" are also different than kid "donuts" Our church is in the middle of 2 neighborhoods. I wonder if we went and asked what would bring them in to church we would find that it probably wouldn't take much, just not what we are doing now.

But I digress...the other speaker worthy of being noted was a lady named Lee Ezell. Waht a great lady she is. She gave up her baby for adoption after she became pregnant from being raped. Later got married. He died of cancer. She was diagnosed with cancer that same month and then her daughter who she gave up called her and wanted a relationship with her and guess what? That daughter is a Christian, just like this woman! AMAZING! Through it all she could still laugh and know that God was with her! What amazing faith! What a testimony to all of those who are going through hard times and fall into the pit of self pity! i ordered her book too!

The workshops were good. Most of them for me just reaffirmed something we need to be doing at Fairfax and in Children's ministry. I.e. equipping parents to be the spiritual leaders of their children and revamping Kid's worship. We connected with others in the ministry and made some new acquaintances.

One night we did go to Downtown Disney and eat out and shop and take in a movie!

Now i need to get my energy level back up to par and clean my house and get organized and ready for the next several months! A mommy's work is never done! A big shout out though to my lovely husband for not complaining that on my day off and his day off I laid in bed all day watching t.v. and doing sodoku puzzles!!! What a kind soul he is! He even went in and volunteered in Alex's class for me! I am blessed!

Until next time here are some books I suggest you will find a good read: Three by Ted Dekker, Redeeming Love by Francine River.

Movies to watch: Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Cinderella Man

If you are not into the LOST craze! go rent the 1st season!!!! It is AWESOME!!!!!

2 comments:

Malia said...

We watched Cinderella Man last night. Good stuff!

And no, I haven't really joined the Lost craze (although I have seen a few episodes), I don't need another ficitional story to get "lost" in and to escape from reality, I watch too much TV as it is! ;-)

erinlo said...

Sounds like SO MUCH fun! I LOVE the creative correction book! Oh- Redeeming Love- best book ever written (in my opinion). I even made Jeff listen to it on CD when we went on a road trip.