Monday, February 27, 2006

shocker

I have been sick for about 4 weeks now. So this past friday, I made an appointment and went to the dr. I couldn't take being sick anymore. I absolutely love my dr. Shout out to Lisa for introducing me to Dr. Nguyen. She is a fireball and just lovely! I have only seen her once, a year ago, and when she saw me, she asked all these personal questions such as; "how are your kids?" "are they still liking swimming?" "how does your daughter like high school?". I saw her ONCE a year ago!!!! She is great!!!

Anyway, she takes my blood pressure and well according to the numbers, I should be stroking out at anytime now. My blood pressure was high last year but I had taken 2 weeks worth of decongestants and that raises your blood pressure. I was suppose to (suspoose to--that is Gillian style) come back a year ago for a full physical...yeah, I didn't.

So one year later, I come back...sick and my blood pressure is through the roof! So she does what every good dr. should do....give me a talkin' to about my diet, weight, life style, job, etc.

I relfected with Jay all the way home about my life and how I choose to live it.

Yes, I am about 70 pounds overweight. I live for my family. I work a job outside the home from 8 a.m. to about 3 p.m. and when I get home at 3 the amazing race begins. We have homework, housework, practices musical and sports, we have meetings, and phone calls, school stuff church stuff and then there is the blogging!!! Just kidding..that is a side activity. We eat out ALOT or else we are eating at 8 p.m.!!!

What I am trying to say is, I live for my family. We choose to have kids. I choose to be a mom. This is my "season" of being a mom with kids at home. I know that I am completely against what the world says but "my time" will come in about 3-6 years when at that time both my kids will be at college and I will only be 43. When my house is empty then I will have time to work out and focus on me. Don't get me wrong. I do do things that I like and that fill my cup now. But contrary to the world's view, being with my kids and doing things for them is what I love and that does fill my cup! My kids are not going to be in my home fulltime in such a very very short time. NOW is my time to talk and listen and laugh and cry with them. This is my time to take them and use teachable moments to move them closer to their relationship with God.

When I say "this is my time" I mean from the time they have been born. So, after I reflected and Jay's eyes finished glazing over...poor guy, he tries so hard to keep up but I am not easy to keep up with....I come to the conclusion that I will work harder at taking care of myself. My family needs me to be healthy. I will watch my salt intake and drink more water and take my meds. I will run carpools, help with homework, make/order dinner, read, laugh, talk, cry and sit with my kids. I will go to BUNKO or book club. I will keep the house picked up and laundry caught up. I will keep fridays as my day off so that my hubby and I get "quality" time. As we learned at Winterfest, I am going to live for the line (eternity) and not the dot (today).

and then in 2012, when Alex goes to college, the basement becomes a workout room!

Rock on all you moms, rock on!

1 comment:

Jacque said...

You go girl.