Thursday, December 01, 2005

Teen Retreat + Crew+ Basketball=No tree up yet

Well last Sat. we did our usual family tradition of going to Jacobson's tree farm is lovely Lucketts. We got out and picked up our saw and walked and walked to find that one tree that would be THE one to bring us cheer and beauty for the next 30 days.

We were successful. We got an 8 foot douglas fir! We tied on top of the van. We got home and took it off the van and put in a bucket at the front door and well, there it sits...one week later...at our front door.

Not real sure when we will put it up and deck the halls and fa la la la la and all that jazz. This weekend is the teen retreat. Monday starts Crew's winter conditioning for Chelsea (5 days a week) and basketball practice for Alex.

Maybe we should just decorate it outside this year! Sounds good to me! Then I don't have to rearrange the living room and clean up!

But alas, my kids' wont' let me. I have tried for the past 2 years to get a fake tree BUT no! It is our family tradition to go the Sat. after Thanksgiving and go to Jacobson's tree farm in Lucketts and cut down our tree.

I always loved our Christmas traditions growing up. Coming in on christmas morning and seeing all that Santa has brought artfully set up and displayed for the most perfect photo opportunities and inspiring awe in the eyes of those of us who still believe in Santa.

So yes, sometime next week we will clean the house and rearrange the living room, set up and decorate the tree all the while listening to 6 of our 40 Chrismtas cd's and Christmas will offically start in the Sergio household! TRADITION! TRADITION!

What is your favorite Christmas tradition?

1 comment:

Malia said...

When Emily and I were younger, Mom started letting us open one gift on Christmas Eve since the anticipation of Christmas morning was so great that we could hardly stand ourselves. We would just sit and stare at the gifts under the tree practically salivating as the minutes seemed to slow to a maddening crawl. The gifts we were allowed to open were the ones that we had chosen for each other, our sibling gifts.

When Julia came along we started letting her open a gift on Christmas Eve - it was a special pair of pajamas. I don't remember exactly what we did last year since Galen was just like 7 weeks old. But this year I'm having a hard time deciding how to do it. I have their special Christmas pajamas (matching ones at that - too cute!) and there are their sibling gifts. I want them to open their pajamas so they can wear them to bed on Christmas Eve and be in them Christmas morning, but I also want them to continue the tradition I group up with but I don't want them to open two presents on Christmas Eve. Oh the decisions!